These books are valuable teaching and learning resources. I personally read and evaluated every book on this list. I only recommend books here that I find outstanding. I provided links to amazon.com or other sources if you are interested in owning the books. The links to Amazon are affiliate links, links to other sites are not.
HTML and CSS
- HTML5 & CSS3 Visual QuickStart Guide (7th Edition)
- Introducing HTML5 (2nd Edition)
- HTML5 for Web Designers
- Web Standards Solutions: The Markup and Style Handbook, Special Edition
- Handcrafted CSS: More Bulletproof Web Design
- Build Your Own Web Site The Right Way Using HTML & CSS, 2nd edition
- Everything You Know About CSS is Wrong!
- Mastering Integrated HTML and CSS (Mastering)
- The Ultimate CSS Reference
- HTML, XHTML, and CSS, Sixth Edition
- CSS: The Definitive Guide, 3rd edition
- Cascading Style Sheets: The Designer’s Edge
- Eric Meyer on CSS: Mastering the Language of Web Design
- More Eric Meyer on CSS
- Bulletproof Web Design : Improving flexibility and protecting against worst-case scenarios with XHTML and CSS
- HTML & XHTML: The Definitive Guide (6th Edition)
- HTML Mastery: Semantics, Standards, and Styling
- InterACT with Web Standards: A holistic approach to web design (Voices That Matter)
- Head First Mobile Web (Brain-Friendly Guides)
- Designing for Behavior Change: Applying Psychology and Behavioral Economics
- Adobe Dreamweaver CS4 Classroom in a Book
- Mastering CSS with Dreamweaver CS3 (Voices That Matter)
- The Essential Guide to Dreamweaver CS3 with CSS, Ajax, and PHP
- Dreamweaver CS3: The Missing Manual
Standards and Accessibility
- Universal Design for Web Applications: Web Applications That Reach Everyone
- Designing with Web Standards
- Web Accessibility: Web Standards and Regulatory Compliance
- Deliver First Class Web Sites: 101 Essential Checklists
- Web Standards Solutions
- Building Accessible Web Sites
- Accelerated DOM Scripting with Ajax, APIs, and Libraries (Pro)
- PHP and MySQL for Dynamic Web Sites: Visual QuickPro Guide (2nd Edition)
- Emotional Design
- The Non-Designer’s Design Book, 2nd Ed
- Web Design Workshop
- Web Style Guide: Basic Design Principles for Creating Web Sites
- The Zen of CSS Design: Visual Enlightenment for the Web
2 thoughts on “Recommended Books”
I am currently using Dreamweaver CS6 to teach Web Design Essentials. We have finished the book for Adobe Dreamweaver CS6. Do you recommend a book that I can use to teach Web Design Applications? It is a class that follows Web Design Essentials. Thanks.
The only book on that topic I’ve recommended so far is Head First Mobile Web (Brain-Friendly Guides). I learned a tremendous amount from this book, but I knew absolutely nothing to start with. Here’s my review: http://www.webteacher.ws/2012/02/24/review-head-first-mobile-web/.
If I were shopping for a book to use in a class, I would look at the Head First book. I don’t see a Visual Quickstart Guide on this topic. (I tend to find the VQS books really excellent as text books.) There’s an O’Reilly book about building apps, but I haven’t seen it.
The Dreamweaver interface for building apps is not completely transparent or intuitive. There are some good videos at adobe.com about using the jQuery mobile tools (from the Insert panel) and the grid system design tools that may be helpful in figuring out how to make Dreamweaver help you with apps. Adobe integrates with Phone Gap to build apps, so look for info on that as well.