Here are the kind of resources are already available on the topic of Internet etiquette. Could they be the basis an organized plan of action to build a set of culturally agreed upon acceptable behaviors around internet conversation and interaction? Are these resources a start or are they inadequate even as a starting point?
- Internet Etiquette
- Proper Internet Etiquette
- Top 10 Netiquette Guidelines
- The Core Rules of Netiquette (excerpted from Netiquette by Virginia Shea)
- Another book: Netiquette by Matthew Strawbridge
- Two things from CNN: Meet the Rules of the Internet and Your (additional) Rules of the Internet
- Internet User Guidelines and Etiquette
- The Dos and Don’ts of Internet Etiquette
- Behaveyourself.com: Online Manners Matter
Many of the resources listed above use the same old advice: don’t use all caps, blah, blah, blah. What they aren’t talking about is learning to communicate skillfully and effectively when your only contact is through cyberspace. Shouldn’t we be talking about that?