While responsive web design has taken off like a rocket, the question of what to do with images in a design that adapts to any device that might be used to display it is still under investigation. I’ve gathered some resources to help you understand the issues and see some of the tests and demos that have be done.
I don’t think we have a final answer that will become “best practice” yet, but there are a lot of great minds grappling with the issues.
Posts and Tips
- Responsive Web Design: Preserving “image” aspect ratio
- Adaptive Images in Responsive Web Design
- Responsive Web Images: What can we Expect Next?
- A Framework for Discussing Responsive Image Solutions
- Which Responsive Image Solution Should You Use?
- Source Shuffling: Responsive Images Based on Media Queries
- Responsive Images: What’s the Problem and How Do We Fix it?
- Tips and Tricks for Retina Images in Responsive Web Design
- Mo PIxels Mo’ Problems’
- Responsive Web Design: Fluid Images
- Fluid Images
- Responsive Images Right Now